This course presents Pediatric Power Wheelchair Assessment and Training. Many people are hesitant to refer a child for a power
- Describe three ways to determine motor readiness to use a power wheelchair
- Describe three ways to determine cognitive readiness to use a power wheelchairList three strategies to develop motor readiness to use a power wheelchairIdentify three strategies to develop cognitive readiness to use a power wheelchair
- Synthesize specific pediatric power wheelchair assessment
considerations Identifytwo mobility training strategies to optimize power wheelchair driving
Michelle Lange, OTR/L, ABDA, ATP/SMS
Michelle is an occupational therapist. She is the co-editor of Seating and Wheeled Mobility: a clinical resource guide, editor of Fundamentals in Assistive Technology, 4th ed., NRRTS Continuing Education Curriculum Coordinator and Clinical Editor of Directions magazine. Michelle is on the teaching faculty of RESNA, a member of the Clinician Task Force, a certified ATP, certified SMS and is a Senior Disability Analyst of the ABDA.
- Kenyon, L. K., Farris, J., Brockway, K., Hannum, N., & Proctor, K. (2015). Promoting self-exploration and function through an individualized power mobility training program. Pediatric Physical Therapy, 27(2), 200-206.
- Lange, M. (2018). Power Mobility: Alternative Access Methods. In M. Lange & J. Minkel (Eds.), Seating and Wheeled Mobility: a Clinical Resource Guide (pp. 179-198). Thorofare, NJ: Slack Incorporated.
- Livingstone, R., & Paleg, G. (2014). Practice considerations for the introduction and use of power mobility for children. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 56(3), 210-221.
- Dunaway, S., Montes, J., O’Hagen, J., Sproule, D.M., Vivo, D.C.D., & Kaufmann, P. (2013). Independent mobility after early introduction of a power wheelchair in spinal muscular atrophy. Journal of child neurology, 28(5), 576-582.
- Lange, M. (2016). Introduction to Wheeled Mobility: Considerations is Occupational and Physical Therapy Practice. Western Schools, Brockton, MA.
- Furumasu, J. (2018). Considerations When Working With the Pediatric Population. In M. Lange & J. Minkel (Eds.), Seating and Wheeled Mobility: a Clinical Resource Guide (pp. 179-198). Thorofare, NJ: Slack Incorporated.